DIỄN ĐÀN THANH NIÊN VIỆN NCKH&TK
Bạn có muốn phản ứng với tin nhắn này? Vui lòng đăng ký diễn đàn trong một vài cú nhấp chuột hoặc đăng nhập để tiếp tục.
DIỄN ĐÀN THANH NIÊN VIỆN NCKH&TK

Trang ChínhTrang Chính  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  Tìm kiếmTìm kiếm  Đăng kýĐăng ký  Đăng Nhập  

Common mistakes in written English and how to correct them

Go down 
5 posters
Tác giảThông điệp
BigTom
Mod Bụng Phệ
Mod Bụng Phệ
BigTom

Tổng số bài gửi : 30
Location : Cắc cùm cum, cắc cùm cum dắt nhau đi đi vào hotel... Hilton
Registration date : 03/01/2008

Common mistakes in written English and how to correct them Empty
Bài gửiTiêu đề: Common mistakes in written English and how to correct them   Common mistakes in written English and how to correct them Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2008 10:16 am

Chating and joking are very easy with most of use, but when preparing a formal document (for example, a report, purchasing specification, contract, etc...) we usually make lots of mistake. Why we feel difficult to do those documents and how to mitigate mistakes made during writing English?
Thus, I think that listing those mistakes and correcting them together would, as a good method, improve our writing skill.
Welcome who has experience in solving this problem, please share your experience to others.
study study study study study study
Về Đầu Trang Go down
moneyless

Tổng số bài gửi : 14

Bài gửiTiêu đề: Re: Common mistakes in written English and how to correct them   Common mistakes in written English and how to correct them Icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2008 12:50 am

- input language: reading, listening.
- output language: speaking, writing.
input-output: highest product are presentation. I think writing skill is most difficult of language. So, I think you should influence listening, reading, speaking skills and have good foundation in gramma then you will pick up some skills in writing from the practice (report, presentation...).
This is good oppotunity for practice. pls. check it for me. Thanks and good luck.
Về Đầu Trang Go down
hard head

hard head

Tổng số bài gửi : 9
Registration date : 31/01/2008

Bài gửiTiêu đề: Re: Common mistakes in written English and how to correct them   Common mistakes in written English and how to correct them Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2008 2:35 pm

I think this is an interesting & helpful topic, so I'll be willing to share my experiences as well as to learn from other members.

If you look back at your business emails in your mail box, you'll easily find that most of those emails are closed by "Regards", "Best Regards", "Thank you" anh so on. It's not wrong but we can see that perhaps we do not know many different ways to open or close a simple business emails or letter.

So, I'll show you some easy ways:

1. In case you first write an business email or letter to you customer or client... and you do not know exactly who s/he is, you can use this sample:

Dear Sir or Madam,
Yours faithfully,

2. In case you have talked to your customer or client on emails or phone several times, i.e. you know his/her name, but you still don't know him/her by face, this way is for you:

Dear Mr. A / Dear Ms. A (Remember never use Mrs. A)
Yours sincerely,

3. "Regards" or "Best regards" should only be used with familiar customers or clients, your colleagues, etc. Do not use these words in most your business emails or you would be regarded as an unprofessional writer.

4. To open an email or letter in the easiest way, just add "Dear" before the name of the person you are talking to. But, remember following rules:
- To foreigners, people call each other by family name, so if you're writing emails to foreigners, you have to write the family name after "Dear". For example: Dear Mr. Gates (for a man named Bill Gates), it'd be funny if you wrote "Dear Mr. Bill" Rolling Eyes. Or you can just write "Dear Bill", it's ok.

- To Vietnamese people, bacause we call each other by first name, so we should add first name after "Dear", for example: Dear Mr. Hung, Dear Mr. Tuan...

- In case you don't know if the person you are talking to is a man or a lady, just write: Dear + full name.

Above is my experiences on this topic, maybe it's a little long for you to read through but I hope it'd be helpful to you.

HH.
Về Đầu Trang Go down
lựu đạn

lựu đạn

Tổng số bài gửi : 110
Registration date : 08/01/2008

Bài gửiTiêu đề: Re: Common mistakes in written English and how to correct them   Common mistakes in written English and how to correct them Icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2008 8:15 am

Dear Mr. HH! Smile
Thanks you for useful post. We're looking forward to your coperation with our 4R in the future.
Best regards!
Về Đầu Trang Go down
hard head

hard head

Registration date : 31/01/2008

Bài gửiTiêu đề: Re: Common mistakes in written English and how to correct them   Common mistakes in written English and how to correct them Icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2008 11:48 am

Thanks for your encouragement. But I don't think you should use "Best regards!" here because you absolutely do not know me both by face and by real name Smile . Just joking, never mind8). By the way, I've learnt the above things from an Amarican teacher so I think they'd be helpful and worth remembering.

HH.
Về Đầu Trang Go down
lựu đạn

lựu đạn

Tổng số bài gửi : 110
Registration date : 08/01/2008

Bài gửiTiêu đề: Re: Common mistakes in written English and how to correct them   Common mistakes in written English and how to correct them Icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2008 12:15 pm

Oh, no sir! I especially (purposeful?) use this one. Because I think 90% I know you!!! I can smell Mad ! Khặc, Khặc....(Sorry, I don't know "khặc khặc" in English Laughing !!!)
Về Đầu Trang Go down
Solomon

Solomon

Registration date : 04/02/2008

Bài gửiTiêu đề: Re: Common mistakes in written English and how to correct them   Common mistakes in written English and how to correct them Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2008 2:54 pm

As my experiences, there are numberless mistakes in writing English, but some commons are shown hereinafter.

1. Instead of plural form, we use single form for nouns
- Overcome: using an E-E dictionary.

2. Lack of "a" or "the" before nouns
- Overcome: keep in mind that nouns always have "a", "an" or "the" before if they not in plural form or lack of prepositive adjectives.

3. Fragmentary sentences
- Overcome: write, write and write... and have an English consultant.

4. Incorrect word order, tenses
- Overcome: re-study from A-B-C.

Please note that computer's aids and dictionaries are also very usefull several tools for writing.

Conclusion: The best way to identify and correct common mistakes in writing English is writing as much as good.
Về Đầu Trang Go down
BigTom
Mod Bụng Phệ
Mod Bụng Phệ
BigTom

Tổng số bài gửi : 30
Location : Cắc cùm cum, cắc cùm cum dắt nhau đi đi vào hotel... Hilton

Bài gửiTiêu đề: Re: Common mistakes in written English and how to correct them   Common mistakes in written English and how to correct them Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 11:19 am

One more mistake is confusing of using present participle and past participle as adjectives. How to use these as adjectives:
1. Using present participle as adjective when:
- It stands directly in front of the noun to be modified.
- Its origin is an intransitive verb
- Its act is in active voice and progressive tense
2. Using past participle as adjective when:
- It stands directly in front of the noun to be modified.
- Its act is in passive voice and in advance of act of main clause of the sentence.

Note: voice of several verbs such as to interest, to bore, excite and frighten should be carefully considered to use exactly.
Về Đầu Trang Go down
Sponsored content

Bài gửiTiêu đề: Re: Common mistakes in written English and how to correct them   Common mistakes in written English and how to correct them Icon_minitime

Về Đầu Trang Go down

Common mistakes in written English and how to correct them
Về Đầu Trang 
Trang 1 trong tổng số 1 trang